Friday, August 19, 2011

Ascher Studio

I have been on a hunt for more garment fabric. Wools, crepes, silks; you name it I want it. I found this amazing company, Ascher Fabrics when I was knee deep in Wool websites. Ascher has been in business since the 1920's and have made fabric for Lanvin, Givenchy, Cardin and others. I can only imagine the warehouse full of mohairs and tweeds! Here are a couple of images from their Fall Paris portfolio, 1958:But Ascher is not just a fabric manufacturer, they also have spent years bringing together art and textiles and so have an amazing scarf collection. Just gorgeous. With artists like Cecil Beaton, Matisse, Henry Moore and others they collaborated to design limited edition scarves in silk and cashmere. I've put a brief snippet of some of their collections over the year, however a trip to their gallery is definitely worth a visit.
(Speaking of galleries, Ascher has a print archive where over 15,000 print designs from all of their years in business are available to view. By appointment only of course. I would love to be let loose in that archive.)








No comments: