Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Ooooh a fairy castle!


Hello bon bons! I promise I wasn't ignoring you, we just had a busy week last week- there was traveling, art fairs, a whole lot of eating, and seeing everyone I've ever known at home. Anyhoo, all is well here at the store, we have been ordering some new fun stuff and are working on a website update, but I really wanted to tell you about Colleen Moore.

Do you know Colleen Moore? In a very small nutshell she was a silent movie actress and one of the instigators of the flapper look. I am always really inspired by this time period, which is one of the reasons why I like her so much--the other reason? Her Fairy castle!



In 1928 Colleen Moore started building the fairy castle (which is always on exhibit at the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago) and she enlisted everyone from Rudolph Valentino, to Chinese jade carvers to help her. There is too much to say on this subject to put on this blog, so go to the Castle website to read more. I try to visit it every time I'm in Chicago, and I wanted to share it with you, so you can see the sheer awesomeness (is that a word?) of the castle. The problem with putting these pics up is that you can't really see the scale of the castle, or the tiny bits in it (like diamonds, or entire books painted in miniature, or the mini gun that actually shoots) so you have to go visit it!



This is a pic of the great hall, and one of Colleen Moore sitting in the great hall. Yes, it's big enough for an adult to sit in.

No comments: