Wednesday, August 25, 2010

the sewist's toolbox: bias tape maker


This may be one of the most satisfying tools ever! If you have ever sewn with me before, then you know how I love to make sure that everything is nicely pressed at every step. You also know how I hate to turn tubes for straps. Come into play the bias tape maker, or as I like to call it, the binder maker (most of what I put through it is NOT bias cut). This combines my love of pressing and saves me from turning tubes.

binder tool

So what do they do, you ask? Well, they take strips and fold two sides to the center in one swoop. Then you follow behind with the iron and presto...bias tape. This is great for bindings of any kind. But I like to use it as a strap maker. The tool comes in a variety of sizes. So find a size that works, run your strips through, then you fold in half and topstitch. That's a strap! This is so much faster and far less frustrating than turning long tubes.

binder tool

We used them to make the straps for the nighties in Friday's class.

nighty night
bias tape maker tool experienced professionals

Thanks ladies for a fun class!

No comments: