Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Pinterest Inspiration

I was toodling around Pinterest one day when I came upon this image. I love full skirts like this, and thought they looked great with the sheer tops and super tall shoes. And then I had a thought...wouldn't our black bamboo sweater knit and the new heatwave stripe by Denyse Schmidt make a good replica?

Granted, the heatwave isn't a floral. But I think it has a great vintage vibe and few things make me happier than a combo of black and chartreuse.


 I hadn't worked with the bamboo knit before and it was a little tricky (slick!) but totally worth it because it is incredibly soft. It is sheer and I will wear something underneath unlike the ladies above. For the top I just used an old Burda long sleeve tee pattern.

 The full skirt I made up. I had three yards of fabric to work with. I made a waistband using a heavy interfacing and then pleated the rest of it until it fit. Add zipper, hem and throw on some decorative vintage buttons, and you are done! I can't wait to bust this out in the fall with my black ankle wedge boots. Until then it is on display at the store for one and all to see.