Thursday, October 18, 2012

Holiday Hop Guest Star: Tula Pink!

Sound the horns people, Tula Pink is coming to bon bon atelier! And by that, I don't just mean her fabric, which is already here, but the woman herself. And we are so excited! For those who don't know, Tula Pink is a fabric and quilt designer. And an amazing one at that. Her use of color and crazy graphics are right up our alley. She will be our Holiday Hop guest star on November 3rd from 1-3pm, and you need to come see her. Check out her work, get a book signed and maybe even get a sneak peek of the new fabric collection that she will have just debuted at quilt market the week before.
Artist Statement:

Once upon a time I had a funny little bio that didn’t really say much about who I am or what I do. Times have changed, now a few people actually want to know. 

I graduated from Otis College of Art and Design in Los Angeles. It was fun but I was tired of being broke so I decided to get a job. I worked briefly as an Exhibit designer for Museums in L.A. and when that became too quiet I relocated to the music industry. After about 6 years of that my ears began to bleed so I left California and went in search of a new home. The plan was to move as far east as I could get without renting a boat and work my way back west until I found a place I liked.

 I now live in a small mid-western town where my closest neighbor is roughly four miles away. I have a cat that I never see and a lawn that requires more attention than the cat.
 My main function in life is fabric design. I live for it. Through all of the moving and mind changing one thing was constant; fabric and sewing. I designed my first collection in my living room, after work and on weekends. The day I left my job in L.A. I sent it into Moda Fabrics and by the time I got to Albuquerque it was in production. A few years and several collections have passed since then. 

Today I work with Free Spirit Fabrics designing not just for quilting but for a whole lifestyle of DIY-ers with a passion for saying things like “Hey. look what I made” or “don’t sit on that, it’s still wet”. 
Seeing my name on that selvage was the  only thing that had been missing from my professional life. So here I sit, an exiled rock princess on a throne of bolts and bobbins. This space is where I tell my story and share whatever there is to share about my world.




No comments: