Friday, February 4, 2011

Suburban Quilt


So today, we have a quilt pattern for you. It's a take on the traditional farmhouse quilt, except it's more Frank Lloyd Wright style. To me this quilt is all about the solids, and I was very happy to use Kaffe Fassett Shot cottons. Because they are awesome. See?

I used mushroom, , ecru, moss, apricot, aqua and pewter. To do the quilt like I did you will need: 1/2 yard of aqua, apricot and pewter. 1/4 yard of everything else. Which, of course we can get you.


This quilt is made with one scene repeated three times. The scene is a rectangle that consists of two different background fabrics pieced together and the house appliqued on top. I'm going to give you the directions for one scene, which you then repeat.

Let's start with the background.
Cut a piece of fabric 11 1/2 x 36 (A)
Cut a piece of fabric 3 x 36 (B)

Put A to B right sides together, stitch down the 36" side. Open the fabrics right side up and press.

You now have background AB!

Now for the difficult and potentially incredibly confusing part. The house.
The house is made of 8 pieces of fabric, I will list them below.
C: Chimney cut one 2 x 3 1/4
D: Arched Roof cut one 3" from outer tip to tip. Start with 1 1/2 thickness at bottom, thin to 1 inch at top
E: Flat Roof cut one 1 3/4 x 19 1/2
F: Column One cut one 1 3/4 x 3 1/2
G: Window cut one 2 1/2 x 2 1/2
H: Column Two cut one 1 3/4 x 3 1/2
I: Floor cut one 1 3/4 x 11 1/2
J: Sidewalk cut one 1 3/4 x 24 1/2
K: Grass 1 1/2 x 12 3/4

First take all your house pieces and press them under 1/2 on each side. So for example, the chimney piece would end up being 1 1/2 x 2 3/4.

Once you have all of your pieces pressed it's time to build the house. I started at the bottom and built up. I pinned all of my pieces and once I was satisfied with how they looked then I machine appliqued. Of course you can also hand applique if you prefer.

Lay your background fabric face up with piece A on top, B on bottom. Measure one inch down from the seam line where A meets B, and 4 1/2 inches over from the left side of your fabric. This is where you will place piece K.

You will now take piece I which you will place directly above piece K but over to the left one inch. Place piece J directly to the right of I and above K.

Now that you have your base built, we will work on the columns. From the right side of piece I you will measure over 2 inches and 9 inches, mark. You will place piece F at the two inch mark and piece H at the 9 inch mark.

From the top of piece F measure 2 3/4 to the right. This is where you will place piece G.

Now for the roof. You will line piece E up with the tops of F, H and G. Measure 2 1/2 inches from the left raw edge of the fabric, place piece E.
On the top of piece E measure in one inch from the left. This is where the chimney, piece C will be placed. Piece D will be placed directly to the right of piece E.

Whew, now the house is built! You should have everything pinned, take a look and make sure everything is lined up straight. Now machine applique the pieces on. I used an edgestitch foot for this, with an 1/8 inch seam allowance.

When you have your first scene finished you can do your other two. Then stitch the three scenes together. I made a quilt back out of scraps. Choose a batting of your choice, quilt and bind.

No comments: