Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Poirot Inspiration


So on Sunday night I got a huge jolt of inspiration while watching a Hercule Poirot DVD with my family (we have a big soft spot for English mysteries). For those who may not be up on there mysteries, Hercule Poirot is a character from an Agatha Christie series about a Belgian detective. My favorite the series starring David Suchet as Poirot (top left pic), although there are a variety of other movies and TV series with other actors. 
So, why the inspiration? Well, the Poirot stories are set in the 30's (ish) and like all English period pieces they are impeccably costumed. I coveted the crepe dresses, marveled after the tailoring in the tweed jackets and my sister positively swooned over the leading ladies perfect pleated pants. What were those pants made of that gave them such an amazing drape? I guess we'll never know. Anyway, Monday morning when I got ready for work I kept the images from the night before in mind and made myself a pseudo 1930's outfit!
Here it is (please excuse the pink nose--I had just come in from outside where it was freezing and I turn pink very easily).
So, what's 30's about it? Well, if nothing else, the jacket is from that era. It is part of a 3 piece vintage set I recently acquired. The skirt, which is really dark purple, has  a nice 30's inspired bias cut to it. The pink shirt is actually the top of a 50's pajama set and the bow is vintage velvet ribbon. The shoes I think have a nice WWII era feel to them--I especially like the bronze detailing.

So why this long, boring blog with a picture of myself in it? Well, I enjoy putting together a lot of "inspired by" outfits-- I don't really have much else to do. And, I figure, why not share? Feel free to skip over any future vanity posts!

No comments: