Thursday, March 25, 2010

Harper's Bazaar Anniversary Archives


I was on a grand search for a certain Harper's Bazaar cover when I ran across their 140th anniversary archives and found these great images. Although the archives don't have near as many images as I would like to see it is definitely worth a look. Something that really struck me is how much cleaner the covers used to be..and therefore how much more eye-catching.

This (and the Lula covers from yesterday) really made me realize how much I would like to see starker, more graphic covers. Let's stop with the print all over the place, and actually I would like to see some models on covers. I can't tell you how many times I'll see an actress on the cover of a mag and it will stop me from buying it. Not because I don't like the actress, but it just doesn't seem very striking to me. For instance, the cover above you can frame on your wall as art. How many of the Jennifer Aniston covers would you do that with (no offense JA, I just picked your name out of a mental hat) Do you know what I mean? Or is it just me?

I love this image Warhol did for them..

No comments: