Friday, December 30, 2011

Ray Eames


J and I watched the documentary Eames the architect and the painter on This American Life the other day. (Thanks PBS!) It was an all around great movie, but two things really stood out to me. One of them was the perhaps underrated (possibly just in my mind) rose of Ray Eames.

 

I loved that they really showed her background and role as an artist and how she was such an important cog in the Eames machine. Ray had a background in Abstract Expressionist painting and had studied under Hans Hoffman. This gave her an eye for color and the ability to make a static tableaux dynamic and alive with just that right tweak.
And of course she designed gorgeous fabric, which endears her to me.
Kudos to you Ray Eames!

Oh, the movie is available on Netflix, if you are interested...

No comments: